If walking down the aisle in your hometown isn’t part of your dream wedding day, you’re not alone. The 2012 Knot Market Intelligence Destination Weddings Study, revealed an overwhelming 24 percent of couples ─ nearly one in four─ opted for a destination wedding.
When it comes to location, 70 percent of couples tied the knot in the continental U.S., while 30 percent chose a more exotic, tropical spot.
The Caribbean, is the most popular spot outside the continental U.S. for couples to say “I Do,” with more than one in three heading to Jamaica. Mexico was close behind with 24 percent of weddings, followed by Hawaii with 20 percent.
Whether you’re envisioning saying your vows beachside on an exotic island, at a secluded country estate, cozied up in a ski lodge, or just about anywhere else, you can make it happen.
Seven Benefits of a Destination Wedding
Still trying to decide if a destination wedding is for you? These seven advantages of destination weddings will have you booking your flight and packing your bags in no time:
- Increased Quality Time with Guests: A destination wedding is typically an intimate affair, as only those closest to you are likely to make the trip. Not only does this allow you to spend more one-on-one time with guests, you’re also able to extend the celebration longer, as destination wedding festivities last anywhere from a few days to an entire week.
- Amazing Photos: Getting married in an exotic location allows your wedding photos to have some of the most gorgeous backdrops in the world. The two of you will get to enjoy photos that look like something out of a magazine for the rest of your lives.
- All-Inclusive: An all-inclusive destination wedding is a cost effective way for your guests to have a great time. One set rate covers the hotel room, activities food, and drinks for the duration of the trip, so everyone can relax care-free without having to worry about the little expenses that really add up.
- Start Your Honeymoon Early: Even if you’re planning to head off to another destination for your official honeymoon, having a destination wedding allows you to get a head start on relaxing in an amazing setting. It’s difficult to feel stressed with last minute wedding details when you’re sitting on a beach in paradise.
- Cost Effective: Resorts typically offer all wedding services right on the property, which you can bundle together for steep discounts. Not only does it save a lot of money, it’s also virtually stress-free.
- Once-in-a Lifetime Memories: Embarking on a vacation with all the people you love the most allows you to create amazing memories that you’ll have forever. This is a unique chance to enjoy a vacation with those that mean the most to you, who have traveled a long way to participate in your special day.
- No Surprise Guests: When you get married thousands of miles from home, you won’t have to worry that uninvited or unwanted guests will show up, as they would have to travel a very long way to get to you.
Your wedding day is the biggest day of your life, so if a destination wedding feels right to you, it’s important to go for it! Whether there’s already a location special to your relationship ─ or you’re in the market to find one ─ having a destination wedding is a hopelessly romantic way to begin the rest of your life.